The new Olympus PEN E-PL8 is a WiFi-enabled compact system camera aimed at fashion-conscious women. Described as a product that "blends distinctly feminine curves with the seamless social skills of bloggers, fashionistas and other switched on millenials," the E-PL8 boasts a new shape and leather look finish, and comes with a flip-down LCD that's ideal for selfies. Like the existing PEN E-PL7, the new E-PL8 comes equipped with a 16-megapixel FourThirds sensor, a Micro FourThirds lens mount and a sensor-shift image stabilisation system. The E-PL8 will be available in pure white, black with silver details, and in vintage brown. The body weighs just 326 grams and costs £399.99/€449.00; or £499.99/€599.00 with an M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1-3.5-5.6 EZ Pancake lens.
Olympus Press Release
Curves and connectivity – stunning new OLYMPUS PEN celebrates fashion and femininity
Hamburg, 09/19/2016 • The OLYMPUS PEN E-PL8 looks as beautiful as the photos it takes – The Olympus PEN family has a head-turning autumn debutante: the new E-PL8, which blends distinctly feminine curves with the seamless social skills of bloggers, fashionistas and other switched on millenials. The new shape and leather look finish add an eye-catching flourish to the most individual of outfits while Olympus technology makes it easier than ever to take and upload top notch still and video to social media – with image quality that stands out from the smartphone crowd. Despite its metal body and interchangeable lenses, the E-PL8 is light and compact enough to slip easily into a small bag. The flip-down LCD is ideal for selfies, giving you touch-screen access to key controls including shutter release/record, the exposure slider and creative Art Filters. Photos and movie clips can be edited on camera, and music or other effects added, then combined into one file for upload via Wi-Fi, a compatible smartphone and the free OI.Share App. The E-PL8 will be available from October 2016, with bloggers leading the way in an unprecedented acknowledgement of their constant loyalty and devotion to the Olympus PEN brand. The E-PL8 will come in pure white, black with silver details, or - following the latest fashion - in vintage brown. The body weighs just 326 grams and costs €449; or €599 with an M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1-3.5-5.6 EZ Pancake lens.
Introducing the Fashion Accessory line last December, Olympus became the world’s first camera maker to create high-quality camera accessories designed specifically for style-conscious women. The new E-PL8 is the camera to match with even more new accessories on the way. In fact, the combination of uncluttered curves, coordinated colours, and an engraved leather look and metal finish make the new Olympus PEN a fashion accessory in its own right. In refined white it complements any outfit in any colour, while in classic black with silver it exudes an elegant calm. In vintage brown, the E-PL8 is the relaxed accent that sets off your carefully crafted look complete with new colour coordinated shoulder straps.
To die-for design
The rounded PEN design is impressive from any angle. On the front, the gold or silver embossed Olympus PEN lettering recalls premium leather accessories and draws the eye to the minimalist, colour-coordinated grip. The premium look continues with the glittering, top-mounted metal dials and signature PEN “step”. The result is a camera that can be confidently carried – or worn – on any occasion. Which is where the compact, Micro Four Thirds format comes into play. Like any PEN, the lightweight E-PL8 is designed to go everywhere with you.
Introducing ‘touch selfies’
This new PEN elevates the selfie to an expressive art form, and makes it accessible to anyone. High-grade interchangeable lenses combine with high-end technologies to ensure maximum imaging power. Selfie Mode automatically activates when you flip down the reversible LCD, giving you one-touch access to key controls without worrying about blocking the shot with an errant finger. The result is beautifully lit, pin-sharp selfies, even when shooting against bright lights at night. Zoom lenses automatically move to wide-angle, and a choice of one-touch options appear on the LCD, including e-Portrait, Interval Shooting, Art Filters and movie special effects. PEN technology makes it possible to shoot spectacular, SLR-style shots with a defocused background or quirky fish-eye perspective that simply aren’t possible on even the best smartphones.
Movie making made easy
The PEN makes it easy – and fun – to shoot and edit movies on-camera. You can record videos in short bursts, save them to ‘My Clips’, then stitch your favourite clips together to make a promo-style film with a soundtrack and Art Filter. For example, Old Film Effect randomly adds noise and scratches to create a retro look.
The world via Wi-Fi
The new PEN links quickly to your smartphone via Wi-Fi and the free OI.Share App so you can shoot full-body selfies remotely (controlling the camera on your phone) and keep a fashion log showing the outfits you wear every day. Of course, from your smartphone it’s a cinch to upload to social media.
Change lenses and accessories
Like every PEN, the E-PL8 is compatible with Olympus’ ever-expanding family of high-grade M.ZUIKO system lenses , as well as the outstanding PEN Fashion Accessories , which offer a wide range of Shoulder Straps, Hand Straps or different bags for every style and every taste.
Every Olympus lens and camera comes with a free six-month warranty extension* when registered via the MyOlympus online platform.
New Fashion Accessories (selection)
- Camera Outfit Olive En Vogue
- Bucket Bag Into The Blue
- Shoulder Strap Camouflower
Check out www.olympus-europa.com/fashion_accessories for all the latest fashion accessories
Free OI.Share v2.6 Smartphone App. For seamless Wi-Fi image sharing.
Product specifications are subject to change without notice. Please check the Olympus website at http://www.olympus-europa.com for the latest specifications.
* Six months on top of the statutory warranty in the country of purchase.
Olympus Europa is the headquarters for the region Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) of the Olympus Corporation, Tokyo. As a worldwide leading manufacturer of optical and digital precision technology, Olympus provides innovative solutions for state-of-the-art medical systems, digital cameras as well as scientific solutions. The company’s award winning products are instrumental in detecting, preventing and healing illness, driving scientific research and documenting life with artistic freedom. In the hands of its customers, Olympus’ high-tech products help to make people’s lives healthier, safer and more fulfilling.
For more information: www.olympus-europa.com
PEN E-PL8 Main Features:
- Iconic fashion item with high-end, interchangeable lens-camera performance
- Category-defining, curvaceous design with high-grade finish and eye-catching details
- Flip-down, reversible touchscreen and automatic selfie mode for high-quality still and video selfies
- On-camera video editing, effects and stitching for outstanding movies
- Built-in Wi-Fi for easy transfer to compatible smartphones, tablets and social media via free OI.Share App
- Remote control via smartphone for full-body selfie fashion shoots
- Easy-access Art Filters for adding creative effects to photos and movies, incl. Old Film Effect, Art Fade, Multi Echo and One Shot
- My Clips folder storage for organizing, editing and stitching short video clips
- Made to match Olympus-exclusive accessories designed specifically for fashion-conscious women
- Compatible with full range of first-class M.ZUIKO lenses, incl. must-have 45mm prime portrait lens
PEN E-PL8 Other Features:
- Browse Art Filters and see effect in real time in Live View
- Built-in indoor flash and compatibility with external system flashes
- Photo Story for laying out stills as a story in an album with a variety of creative effects
- iAuto lets the camera automatically select the best settings for any photo
- Live Guide makes it easy to adjust key settings like bokeh, ideal for non-experts
- e-Portrait for perfect skin tones
- Eye Detection for pin-sharp portraits
- Live Composite for long exposures that capture trails of light like stars through the night
- Fast AF focussing for highspeed sequential shooting
- Quick Start Guide gets beginners shooting straight away
Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.