Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary Lens for L-Mount and Sony E-Mount
Sigma have just announced the exciting new 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary telephoto zoom lens for E-mount and L-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras.
The Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary lens will be available on 10th July 2020 priced at £899.99 in the UK and $949 in the US.
Note that the new TC-1411 1.4x and TC-2011 2x Teleconverters are only compatible with the L-mount version of this lens, and not the Sony E-mount version.
Sigma UK Press Release
Introducing SIGMA’s first ultra-telephoto zoom lens for full-frame mirrorless cameras. This ultra-sharp, ‘handy tele master’ empowers your photographic vision anytime, anywhere.
- SIGMA's 5th DG DN lens, designed exclusively for L-Mount and E-Mount full-frame mirrorless cameras
- Uncompromising image quality
- Lightweight and compact lens body, weighing in at 1,135g (L-Mount) or 1,140g (E-mount)
- A dual-action zoom system with straight zoom and ring zoom
- Two-mode Optical Stabilizer offering a four-stop advantage
- Focus limiter switch and customisable AFL button
- Ability to change manual focus ring travel to suit shooting style (USB dock required, L-Mount only)
- Short focusing distance of 112cm at 100mm or 160cm at 400mm for close-up photography
- Tripod socket attachment for better balance (socket sold separately – TS-111)
- Supplied accessories: Hood LH770-05, PROTECTIVE COVER PT-31
Introducing the SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary, a long-awaited, ultra-telephoto zoom lens designed exclusively for full-frame mirrorless cameras. With optical performance and functionality that deliver professional-quality results, all packed into a lightweight and compact body, this versatile, ultra-telephoto zoom is the perfect lens for both dedicated field photography and casual outings. The lens will be available from 10 July 2020.
State-of-the-art optical technology ensures very high-resolution results right to the edges of the frame, as well as high-contrast images throughout the entire focal range. A rounded diaphragm gives circular out-of-focus highlights, and Super Multi-Layer and Nano Porous coatings reduce flare and ghosting. The image quality rivals that of standard zoom lenses such as the SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 DG DN | Art, ensuring a perfect match when used alongside these optics.
The bokeh effects and compressed perspective achieved when shooting at these longer focal lengths will open up a range of new shooting possibilities, allowing a fresh approach to everyday scenes. The lens is perfect for wildlife, action and portraits, and thanks to its short minimum focusing distance, which gives a magnification ratio of 1:4.1, it’s also ideal for capturing close-up subjects in stunning detail.
The lens brings to the table a range of advanced features including dual-action zoom, a customisable AFL button, focus throw angle adjustment (with USB Dock), a two-mode Optical Stabilizer, a tripod socket attachment and a focus limiter switch. The L-Mount version can also be used with two newly-developed teleconverters (1.4x and 2x), with full AF, for even longer focal lengths.
Whether you are considering investing in your first long lens, or are already a seasoned telephoto photographer, the SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary is a robust, portable, ultra-telephoto zoom that offers superb image quality and excellent value for money.
1. SIGMA's 5th DG DN lens, designed exclusively for full-frame mirrorless cameras
With optics designed specifically for a camera with a short flange back distance, the DG DN series of lenses achieves the perfect combination of optical performance and compactness. Thanks to the stepping motor system that is optimised for both phase detection AF and contrast AF, the SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary makes shooting with video or eye-tracking AF very smooth. This DG DN lens is a welcome introduction to the photography market, expanding the possibilities of mirrorless photography.
2. Uncompromising image quality
The optical construction of the SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary comprises 22 elements in 16 groups, with one FLD and four SLD elements used for the effective correction of aberrations and distortions. Built on the latest optical design technology and optimised for mirrorless systems, the new lens ensures the same high-resolution image quality all the way to the edges, and achieves high levels of optical performance right across the zoom and focus range.
Furthermore, when paired with one of two newly-developed SIGMA teleconverters – TC-1411 (1.4x) and TC-2011 (2x) (sold separately, L-Mount only) – the SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary offers photographers a super-telephoto angle of view with a focal length of up to 800mm, while enjoying the benefit of a compact system. Autofocus is effective even with the teleconverter is attached.
3. A full range of functionality that enables smooth and easy ultra-telephoto shooting
In addition to high-speed, smooth AF controlled by a stepping motor optimised to the latest algorithms, the SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary incorporates powerful built-in image stabilisation (OS), which offers a four-stop advantage. When combined with a camera body that also has image stabilisation built in, the lens corrects pitch and yaw axis rotations, providing even more powerful stabilisation.
The lens features an AFL button, to which the user may assign a range of different functions, and a focus limiter switch that allows the user to optimise the AF range depending on the subject distance.
When connecting the lens to a SIGMA USB DOCK (sold separately, L-Mount only), users can use SIGMA Optimization Pro software to adjust the amount of focus movement (throw) when operating the manual focus ring. Newly developed exclusively for use with mirrorless cameras, this allows adjustments to focusing behaviour to best suit different shooting situations.
The SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary supports ‘dual action zoom’. This means users can zoom in or out by turning the zoom ring, or if preferred by pushing or pulling the lens hood, enabling fast intuitive adjustments to focal length.
4. Lightweight and compact lens body
The construction of the lens is designed to be both light and robust, with careful consideration given to utilising the right materials in the right place. Magnesium alloy, for example, which is very strong, is used around the tripod socket attachment, whereas for some other parts of the barrel, durable but light polycarbonate is used.
When using the lens on a tripod, a tripod socket (sold separately) can be attached, helping to reduce strain on the camera body and offering better balance on the tripod. The tripod socket comes with a strap which also helps lessen strain on the camera and lens mounts when carrying or transporting the lens.
- Lens construction: 22 elements in 16 groups, with 1 FLD and 4 SLD elements
- Compatible with high-speed autofocus
- Compatible with lens-based optical correction
* Only on camera models that support this functionality. Scope of correction varies depending on camera model.
- Image stabilisation (OS)
- Customisable AFL button
- Focus limiter switch
- Zoom lock switch
* Fixes the zoom ring at the widest end, preventing it from rotating and causing the lens barrel to extend under its own weight during transportation.
- Dust- and splash-proof bayonet
- Compatible with newly designed SIGMA TELE CONVERTER TC-1411/TC-2011 (sold separately, for L-Mount only)
* Functions as a 140-560mm F7-9 AF ultra-telephoto lens with the SIGMA TELE CONVERTER TC-1411, and as a 200-800mm F10-12.6 AF ultra-telephoto lens with the SIGMA TELE CONVERTER TC-2011.
* Autofocus mode varies depending on camera body.
- Compatible with TRIPOD SOCKET TS-111 (sold separately)
* Compatible with Arca-Swiss clamps.
* Specifications same as the tripod socket for the 105mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens.
* The socket is not compatible with the 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary lens for DSLRs
- Compatible with newly-designed SIGMA USB DOCK UD-11 (sold separately, for L-Mount only)
- Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
- Every single lens produced undergoes SIGMA's proprietary MTF measuring system "A1"
- 9-blade rounded diaphragm
- High-precision, durable, brass bayonet mount
- ‘Made in Japan’ craftsmanship
The figures below are for L-mount.
Lens construction: 22 elements in 16 groups, (1 FLD and 4 SLDs)｜Angle of view: 24.4°-6.2°｜
Diaphragm blades: 9, rounded｜Minimum aperture: F22-29｜
Minimum focusing distance: 112(W)-160(T) cm / 44.1(W)-63.0(T) in.｜
Maximum magnification ratio: 1:4.1 (at 400mm)｜Filter size: φ67mm｜
Maximum width x length: φ86mm × 197.2mm /φ3.4 × 7.8 in.｜
Weight: 1,135g (PROTECTIVE COVER PT-31 included)
*The length is a distance from the end of lens to the surface of mount.
L-Mount: 0085126 750695; Sony E-mount: 0085126 750969
Hood LH770-05: 0085126 938413
PROTECTIVE COVER PT-31: 0085126 938420
SIGMA TELE CONVERTER TC-1411
L-Mount: 0085126 825690
SIGMA TELE CONVERTER TC-2011
L-Mount: 0085126 826697
SIGMA TRIPOD SOCKET TS-111: 0085126 936686
SIGMA USB DOCK UD-11
L-Mount: 0085126 878696
SIGMA WR CERAMIC PROTECTOR 67mm: 0085126 931803
SIGMA WR PROTECTOR 67mm: 0085126 930943
SIGMA PROTECTOR 67mm: 085126 931070
SIGMA WR UV FILTER 67mm: 0085126 930684
SIGMA WR CIRCULAR PL FILTER 67mm: 0085126 930813
Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.