Tamron 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD Lens for Sony E-Mount Mirrorless Cameras
The new Tamron 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD completes the holy trinity of F2.8 Tamron lenses for Sony Alpha full-frame mirrorless cameras, joining the 17-28mm F/2.8 Di III RXD and the 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD.
The Tamron 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD features a compact and lightweight design, quiet and quick autofocus, very short 0.85m focusing distance, 67mm filter diameter, and a moisture-resistant construction.
This new lens is currently under development, with the exact launch date and price still to be confirmed by Tamron. Availability of this new zoom is planned for Spring 2020.
Tamron Press Release
Tamron announces the development of compact and lightweight high-speed telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras
Much-anticipated third model in its series of F/2.8 high-speed zoom lenses delivers superb optical performance with extremely quiet, fast focus
October 23, 2019, Saitama, Japan - Tamron Co., Ltd. (President & CEO: Shiro Ajisaka; Headquarters: Saitama City), a leading manufacturer of optics for diverse applications, announces the development of a new high-speed telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras, the 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD (Model A056).
Developed under the concept of “making high-speed zoom lenses user-friendly,” Model A056 features a compact and lightweight design, an ideal match for full-frame mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras.
The 67mm filter diameter is the same as all other Tamron lenses in this series. The optical design includes several specialized glass elements that contribute to the lens’s superb imaging performance.
The lens’s very short 0.85m (33.5 in) MOD (Minimum Object Distance) expands overall versatility.
The lens adopts Tamron’s newly developed VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) linear motor focus mechanism that produces a quiet, quick autofocus drive.
Other features that support a great shooting experience include a Moisture-Resistant Construction helpful for outdoor shooting and Fluorine Coating for easy maintenance.
In addition, the Model A056 is fully compatible with various camera-specific features including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF.
This new model joins the 17-28mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A046) and the 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036) and brings Tamron’s total of F/2.8 zoom lens for full-frame mirrorless cameras to three.
1. Comfortably compact (149mm / 5.9 in) and light weight (815g / 28.7 oz).
2. 67mm filter diameter, same as all other Tamron lenses for full-frame mirrorless cameras.
3. Superb optical performance and MOD of 0.85m (33.5 in) for a broader range of photographic versatility.
4. Extremely quiet and fast newly developed VXD linear motor focus mechanism.
5. Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating contribute to a comfortable, user friendly photographic experience.
6. Compatible with various camera-specific features including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF.
* Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.
Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.