Ricoh WG-6 Review
The Ricoh WG-6 is a new top-of-the-range tough digital compact camera that is waterproof to a depth of 20 metres, shockproof against a fall from heights of up to 2.1 metres, and cold resistant to temperatures as low as -10°C.
The Ricoh WG-6 will cost £379.99 and be available from March 2019.
RIcoh UK Press Release
RICOH WG-6 - A top-of-the-line digital compact camera, featuring a durable waterproof body with 20-metre underwater shooting capability and a multi-application Ring Light unit
LONDON, 22 February 2019 －RICOH COMPANY, LTD. and RICOH IMAGING EUROPE, S.A.S. are pleased to announce the launch of the RICOH WG-6. The top-of-the-range model in the heavy-duty RICOH WG series, this digital compact camera provides a host of newly designed features, including a multi-application Ring Light unit — convenient in close-up shooting — and 4K-resolution movie recording, in the most durable waterproof body in WG- series history.
This top-of-the-range digital compact camera is waterproof to a depth of 20 metres, shockproof against a fall from heights of up to 2.1 metres, and cold resistant to temperatures as low as -10°C. Equipped with a state-of-the-art back-illuminated CMOS image sensor with approximately 20 effective megapixels and a high-performance imaging engine, it delivers super-high-resolution still images and 4K-resolution movie clips. It also incorporates such outdoor-friendly features as a GPS module to record position and travel log data onto captured images, and an electronic compass to enhance operation in the field. A multi- application Ring Light unit positioned around the lens features six bulbs providing bright, uniform illumination on the subject. Thanks to a choice of discharge patterns, these lights can also operate as a device to illuminate the subject more three-dimensionally.
Ricoh WG-6 RRP: £379.99
Available: March 2019
Ricoh WG-6 Main Features
1. Heavy-duty construction for underwater shooting down to 20 metre, continuously for up to two hours
The WG-6’s solid, airtight body is waterproof to a depth of 20 metres — the deepest in the history of the WG series — and for up to two hours of continuous operation (equivalent to IPX8 or JIS Class 8). It is also shockproof against a fall from heights of up to 2.1 metres,* dustproof (equivalent to IPX6 or JIS Class 6), cold-resistant to temperatures as low as - 10°C, and crushproof against weights of up to 100kgf (kilogram force).** Its heavy-duty construction means that the WG-6 performs superbly in demanding outdoor conditions.
* Measured using RICOH IMAGING-original testing standards — from a height of 2.1 metres, onto a surface of 5cm-thick plywood — conforming to Method 516-5-Shock of the LIK-Standard 810F
** Measured under RICOH IMAGING-original testing standards
2. High-quality, high-resolution images
Combining a state-of-the-art back-illuminated CMOS image sensor (which excels in high- sensitivity and low-noise characteristics to deliver high-speed readout of image data signals) with a high-performance imaging engine, the WG-6 delivers a top sensitivity of ISO 6400 and super-high-resolution images with approximately 20.0 effective megapixels. It also provides advanced image processing functions, made possible by the latest super- resolution technology, for sharp, clear, high-resolution images. It even provides such innovative features as Handheld Night Snap mode, which automatically captures several images of the same nighttime scene and produces a single blur-free composite image from them.
3. 4K-resolution movie recording for extended shooting of high-quality movies
The WG-6 provides 4K-resolution movie recording in the H.264 format, allowing the user to capture high-quality, extended movie clips (3840 x 2160 pixels, 30 frame rate). In addition to the conventional Movie SR (Shake Reduction) mode,* it also features a new Movie SR+ mode,* which generates a shake-reduction effect similar to the one created by a gimbal unit for high-quality movie shooting with more active, fast-action outdoor activities.
* When one of these modes is activated, the angle of view becomes narrower. The Movie SR+ mode can be used at a recorded pixel size smaller than the Full HD format (1920 x 1080 pixels)
4. Five-times optical zoom lens with 28mm wide-angle coverage
Thanks to its five-times optical zoom lens with an angle-of-view coverage from 5mm to 25mm (equivalent to approximately 28mm to 140mm in the 35mm format) and a minimum focusing distance of a mere one centimetre, the WG-6 covers a wide range of applications, from eye-catching close-ups to sweeping landscapes.
Its Intelligent Zoom function extends the zoom range by approximately 40.5 times without compromising image quality, while its Interval Shooting mode makes fixed-point photography simple and effortless.
5. Six multi-application Marco Lights to assist close-up shooting
Positioned around the circumference of the lens barrel, the WG-6’s six LED Macro Lights let the user select a faster shutter speed to minimize camera shake and subject shake in macro and close-up photography. The discharge level can be increased to as much as ten times that of conventional units. It also allows selective lighting, allowing the user to activate only the horizontally or vertically aligned lights to illuminate the subject more three-dimensionally and emphasize the subject’s delicate contours.
6. 3.0-inch, wide-frame LCD monitor for wide-angle viewing
The WG-6 comes equipped with a large, high-resolution 3.0-inch LCD monitor with 3:2 proportions and approximately 1,040,000 dots. Its AR (Anti-Reflection) coating minimizes annoying glare and reflections to deliver a sharp, clear on-screen image even in the bright sunshine often encountered in outdoor shooting. It also features an Outdoor View Setting, which allows for easy adjustment of monitor brightness according to changes in ambient lighting conditions, optimizing the visibility of the on-screen image.
7. Enhanced GPS functions for easier data recording
The WG-6 has a built-in GPS module, which automatically records position and travel log data onto captured images and adjusts the built-in clock to local time. This module can be activated with a single action, and can receive signals from Japan’s quasi-zenith satellite system Michibiki and Russia’s GLONASS (global navigation satellite system), in addition to U.S. GPS satellites. By linking it with the SBAS (satellite-based augmentation system), the user can even record more accurate position data at various locations and times. When shooting indoors, the GPS Lock function allows the user to record GPS data onto captured images by using previously acquired position data.
8. Other features
• Two remote control receivers (one in front and another on the back) to widen signal coverage
• Electronic Level to check the camera’s horizontal/vertical inclination
• 18 Scene modes to select the finishing touch best suited to the subject, including a new Depth-of-field Composite mode
• 12 digital filters
• User position on the mode dial to program and recall user-selected camera settings
• DW-5 (optional) to broaden the angle-of-view coverage to approximately 22mm (in the 35mm format) at wide-angle end
• Compatibility with FlashAir™ SD memory cards for wireless LAN communications
• ・Three strap lug receptacles for versatile strap arrangements, such as vertical
and two-point suspensions
Ricoh WG-6 Optional Accessories
RICOH O-CC173 Protector Jacket
This silicon protector jacket not only protects the camera from dirt and scratches, but also improves grip on the camera when it is being held.
RICOH SC-900 Camera Case
This holder-type camera case comes with a belt loop on the back, and allows for quick removal of the camera during snapshot photography.
- USB Type-C is a trademark of USB Implementers Forum.
- FlashAir is a trademark of Toshiba Memory Corporation.
- HDMI, the HDMI logo, and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI
- All other brands or product names mentioned herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- Designs and specifications are subjects to change without notice.
Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.